Once you appear for JEE (Advanced), JEE (Mains), and more, there’s a counselling procedure which is mandatory for all the students if they wish to join the IITs. This is a common procedure that one needs to follow to get admissions into the IITs, NITs, IIITs and GFTIs as well. The counselling procedure takes place through JOSAA (The Joint Seat Allocation Authority).
The Ministry of Education [erstwhile the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD)] established it to manage and regulate the joint seat allocation for admissions to 114 institutes for the academic year 2022-23.
There are 23 IITs, 31 NITs, the IIEST Shibpur, 26 IIITs, and 33 other government-funded technical institutes (Other-GFTIs).
Admission to all of these Institutes’ academic programmes will be made through a single online platform.
Seat allocation is an important process. Students have to read each and every detail carefully. There is no space for error here because there is no correction window available for this.
The entire process usually takes 45 days. Our counsellors recommend students to keep an eye on the official website for the latest updates on the procedures.
Steps to follow for JOSAA Counselling Procedure
1) Use your JEE (Mains) credentials to register for JOSAA Counselling. After using the credentials, our details will automatically appear on the screen.
Note: Cross-check if your details are correct.
2) Fill in your choices (branches, order, colleges). Students are recommended to keep their best choices on the top. Lock your choices to complete the process.
3) Once your seat gets allocated, accept the seat and pay registration fee for JOSAA counselling. There’s an option to upgrade or freeze your seat.
4) Once you accept the seat, you have to get your documents checked. The authorities will ask you to upload the document for verification. If there is any issue with the documentation, they will raise a query. They might ask you to upload the document again. They will give you a stipulated time to address the query.
Note: For IITs there are six rounds of counselling whereas for NITs, there are seven.
5) Complete the joining formalities at the allotted institute.
A guide to the Registration Process
1) Register on the JOSAA portal with your JEE (Mains) credentials. Once the results are declared, this portal will be opened for login.
2) There is no registration fee.
3) Make a list of your options of highest priority. You may refer to last year’s cut offs while creating this list.
4) There are two JOSAA Mock Seat Allotments. These allotments will help you understand what options you might get and what you need to do to improve your list of choices.
5) After the first allotment, pay the fees.
6) If you don’t accept your seat, you are out of the allotment process and will not be considered for the next rounds.
For more details about the process, do watch this video on JOSAA process by Lakshya Mentor Mr Naveen Kumar (IIT Madras).
We send our best wishes to the aspirants for the admission procedure.