All you need to know about MHT CET 2022
Applications for MHT CET (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test) 2022 are now open, for students aspiring to study in reputed colleges in the state. If you plan to follow a career in engineering and technology, pharmacy or agricultural studies in Maharashtra, this is a great academic opportunity for you indeed. However, with the MHT CET 2022 application submission phase ending at the end of March, you might want to hurry.
Conducted by the Directorate of Technical Education (DTE), this exam gives candidates access to various leading institutions in the state. The higher your rank in the exam, the better are your chances to get into a college of your choice. However, getting a favourable rank isn’t easy, due to the large number of candidates applying for it. If you are applying for MHT CET, you would want to start preparing while you have enough time to do so.
- Eligibility Criteria
- Paper Pattern & Marking
- Time Duration
- How to Apply
- Admission Process
- Important Dates and Fees
Who should apply for MHT CET and what are the eligibility criteria?
Cracking this exam would greatly enhance your chances of being able to join leading institutes in Maharashtra that offer courses in engineering, pharmacy, or Pharm.D. In fact, getting into these institutes is relatively much harder if you do not pass MHT CET first. If you plan to pursue any of these streams in an institute in Maharashtra, appearing for MHT CET and ranking high in the exam would be absolutely worth it.
Do note that in order to be eligible for the admission process post-exam, you must obtain an aggregate of at least 45% in physics, chemistry, mathematics or biology. This is the only eligibility criteria for MHT CET.
What does the MHT CET syllabus consist of?
The syllabus of the MHT CET exam includes topics from the curriculum of the Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education. While the 12th standard curriculum receives 80% weightage, the remaining 20% goes to (11th) eleventh standard topics.
The MHT CET syllabus primarily covers four subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics. It would include the entire 12th standard syllabi from these subjects. However, MHT CET 2022 does not include the portions of the syllabus that were removed during the pandemic.
As for the standard XI curriculum, the following chapters and units are a part of the MHT CET syllabus:
Laws of motion, motion in a plane, optics, sound, thermal properties of matter, semiconductors, electrostatics and gravitation.
Chemical bonding, Redox reactions, structure of an atom, hydrocarbons, states of matter (liquid and gaseous), elements of group 1 and 2, basic principles of organic chemistry, Adsorption and Colloids (Surface Chemistry) and some basic principles of chemistry.
Human nutrition , excretion and osmoregulation, respiration and energy transfer and biomolecules.
Straight line, circle, complex numbers, limits, continuity, probability, measures of dispersion, Trigonometry II, permutations and combinations, and functions.
The HSC book from the state board of Maharashtra covers all these topics and forms the base of the MHT CET. Do make sure to read this book thoroughly.
MHT CET question pattern
This exam primarily consists of objective-type questions. Depending on whether you wish to pursue engineering or pharmacy, you may apply for PCM or PCB subjects respectively. This is a CBT (Computer Based Test), with the following question pattern:
- Number of questions: Depending on whether you choose PCM CET or PCB CET, you would have to answer either 150 or 200 questions. The PCM CET paper consists of 50 questions from physics, chemistry and mathematics each. The PCB CET paper, on the other hand, has 50 questions from physics and chemistry each and 100 from biology.
- Marks and weightage: Despite the difference in the total number of questions, both PCM and PCB papers carry a grand total of 200 marks. All questions from the physics, chemistry, and biology papers carry 1 mark each, while all the mathematics questions are of 2 marks. This is why the PCB paper contains more questions than the PCM one.
- Negative marking: Contrary to many similar major examinations, there is no negative marking in MHT CET. Hence, even if you are unsure about the answer to a question, you may still attempt it rather than skipping it altogether.
MHT CET Time Duration
Duration of the test for PCM is 180 minutes and PCB is 180 minutes. The candidate should appear the following test in the below prescribed manner
- For PCM – This paper is having 2 Groups of Physics-Chemistry and Mathematics withtotal 180 Minutes Duration, first 90 minutes Physics and chemistry will be enabled andonly after completion of first 90 minutes’ time Physics-Chemistry group will be auto submitted and Mathematics group will be enabled with 90 minutes’ duration.
- For PCB – This paper is having 2 Groups of Physics-Chemistry and Biology with total 180 Minutes Duration, first 90 minutes Physics and chemistry will be enabled and only after completion of time response for Physics-Chemistry group will be auto submitted and Biology group will be enabled with 90 minutes’ duration.
How to apply for the MHT CET?
If you are planning to apply for MHT CET, the application process is as follows:
- You would first have to visit the official MHT CET website, mhtcet2022.mahacet.org . You might want to note that the admission process is available only online.
- Upon clicking on the registration page, you would come across a form. Fill up the fields with information such as your name, mobile number and a valid email ID.
- Once you register, you would receive your login ID and password on the email ID you submitted earlier.
- Use the login credentials received via mail to access your application form. Fill up the columns in the form with the information needed.
- You would find a field for submitting your photograph, educational certificates and signature. Scan these documents and upload the scanned copies here.
- The final step is to remit the fee amount set by the DTE.
- Print out the confirmation page as you may need it in the future.
As per the notifications you receive, you would have to generate your admit card and appear for the exam. After the announcement of the results, the state rank lists would follow, together with the document verification phase. This is when admissions open in the institutes, and you may apply to your preferred ones.
Important dates to keep in mind
While applying for MHT CET, make sure you do not miss any of the important dates and deadlines. Here is a list to help you plan and schedule ahead:
- Online registration and application form confirmation: 10th February, 2022 to 31st March, 2022
- Online registration and application form confirmation (In case of delays, with a late fee of INR 500): 01st April, 2022 to 07th April, 2022
- The issue of admit cards: Would be announced later.
- Examination dates: Would be announced later.
If this exam is relevant to you, finish your MHT CET registration at the earliest and start preparing. This is a highly competitive exam, so make sure to do your best to secure a spot in your dream college.